Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Think I See the Light

Cat Stevens was hospitalized for tuberculosis. His recovery started him on the spiritual path of life. He was recovering from more than the health problems occasioned by his worldly excesses.
In the song I Think I See the Light, the first gleams of his spiritual awakening are tied, as they continue to be later, to his love for a woman.

This eros is the same love that we find in the days of mediæval chivalry in the troubadours' love for their "Lady," and yet further back, the source of both is to be found in the holy and divine scriptures of the Hebrew Tanakh, in the Song of Songs which is Solomon's.

There is no apology to be made for this, nor is this an example of spiritualising the act of carnal love. No, the love of man for woman is first a spiritual love, which fulfills itself in the physical acts. Eros is, in fact, the Greek word for love as applies to God's love for mankind, and man's love for God.

Only when this is forgotten, when Christ the divine Bridegroom, is removed from love, then eros becomes broken and the so-called 'love' we see in the world is the result.


I Think I See the Light Play It!
Track 4 on the album Mona Bone Jakon

I used to trust nobody,
trusting even less their words,
Until I found somebody,
there was no one I preferred,
My heart was made of stone,
my eyes saw only misty grey,
Until you came into my life girl,
I saw everyone that way.
Until I found the one I needed at my side,
I think I would have been a sad man all my life.

CHORUS
I think I see the light coming to me,
Coming through me
giving me a second sight.
So shine, shine, shine,
Shine, shine, shine,
Shine, shine, shine.

I used to walk alone,
every step seemed the same.
This world was not my home,
so there was nothing much to gain.
Look up and see the clouds,
look down and see the cold floor.
Until you came into my life girl,
I saw nothing, nothing more.

CHORUS
I think I see the light…

Comment
Until love awakens for another human being, the ultimate purpose of one's life remains unknown, and there is a consciousness of the futility of all things. Alone, the soul wanders in a place where nowhere is home, because home is where the heart has been awakened to love, and without love, there is no welcome, and where welcome is absent, there is no home.

Tell me, then, you whom my heart loves:
Where will You lead Your flock to graze,
where will you rest it at noon?
That I may no more wander like a vagabond
beside the flocks of Your companions.
Song of Songs 1:7-8 Jerusalem Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment